Aadhaar cards are must for everyone. An individual of any age can apply for Aadhaar, even new-born and kids can apply for the same.The 12-digit identification number, which is issued by the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI), can be used as an identity (ID) proof.
The Aadhaar enrolment for children is quite similar to that of adults. Parents will have to go to the nearest enrolment centre and fill in the enrolment form. The Aadhaar card for a child will be issued free of cost. There will be no biometric data captured in case of children below 5 years of age
A child’s Aadhaar number will be issued by taking into reference the UID of the parents. However, it will be required for the child upon turning 5 years and 15 years to update his/her demographic data -biometrics of ten fingers, facial photo, and iris scan.
“Remember to take your child to nearby Aadhaar Kendra for the mandatory biometric update at age 5 years and again at age 15 years. This is important to keep your child’s data updated and makes it easy for the child to use Aadhaar when required, UIDAI said in a tweet.
How to apply for Aadhaar card for children
- Go to your nearest Aadhaar centre to enrol your child.
- The parent or guardian’s Aadhaar along with the child’s birth certificate is required.
- Biometric will not be collected from kids up to the age of five.
- The kid’s Aadhaar will be linked to her/his parent’s Aadhaar.
- Birth certificate of the child OR Photo ID issued by the child’s school.
- Aadhaar card details of the child’s parents.
- Address and ID proof of the child’s parents.
How to book an appointment online for Aadhar card for children
1) Visit UIDAI’s website and go to the Aadhaar card registration link.
2) Fill in the details such as the name of the child, mobile number of the parent, e-mail ID of the parent.
3) After filling in the personal details, provide demographic details.
4) Now, click on ‘Fix Appointment’ button.
5) Don’t forget to carry all the required documents and the reference number along with a print out of the form to the center with you on the date of the appointment.
6) At the Centre, all documents will be verified. After the verification is done, if the child is above 5 years old, his or her biometric details will be taken and then linked to their Aadhaar card.
The child will have to get his/her biometrics updated upon turning 5 years and 15 years. This will be absolutely free, and no document is required for getting biometrics updated. You just need top take the child and his/her Aadhaar to any nearby Aadhaar Kendra.